Need a home tutor?

Call Mr. Fameso on 07062173272

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Michael Owen to retire from football at the end of the season

Michael Owen has announced that he will be retiring from football at the end of the season.

The former Liverpool, Real Madrid, Manchester United and England striker, who also played for Newcastle United and currently plays for Stoke City, released a statement on his website, announcing the decision, saying that he feels "now it is the right time to bring the curtain down on my career.""It is with an immense amount of pride that I am announcing my intention to retire from Professional Football at the end of this season," read the statement from the 33-year-old.

"Having progressed through the ranks at Liverpool to make my first team debut at 17, before embarking upon spells at Real Madrid, Newcastle United, Manchester United and Stoke City, not to mention representing my country on 89 occasions, I now feel it is the right time to bring the curtain down on my career."I have been very fortunate in that my career has taken me on a journey that like many young players starting out, I could only have dreamt of," he added. "None of this would have been possible without the tremendous support I have received from managers, coaches, fellow players, back room staff, the supporters and my own personal sponsors."I would like to thank each and every one for the huge role they have played in helping me reach the top of my profession. Most of all though, I would like to thank my family."

Tributes for Owen – who will probably be best remembered for his goal against Argentina in 1998 World Cup and his hat-trick against Germany in the famous 5-1 victory in Munich – have already started to pour in with his Stoke team-mate Charlie Adam tweeting: "Just seen the news @themichaelowen to retire. What a top player and also a top guy. Pleasure to say played in same team. #finendandy."Owen, who has been dogged by injury in the latter stages of his career, has found opportunities very difficult to come by at the Britannia Stadium of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comments are invited