Need a home tutor?

Call Mr. Fameso on 07062173272

Monday 29 April 2013

NBA center Jason Collins becomes first openly gay player in major US sports

The Washington Wizards center Jason Collins has become, in his own words, "the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport". Writing in the new issue of Sports Illustrated magazine, Collins says: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

"Collins said that he did not relish the prospect of being the first openly gay player in US team sport, but felt that he could no longer live a lie."I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, 'I'm different.' If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."Collins, who also played for the Boston Celtics in the NBA season that has now reached the postseason playoffs – for which the Wizards did not qualify – is now, he writes, "literally and figuratively" a free agent.

He continues:I've reached that enviable state in life in which I can do pretty much what I want. And what I want is to continue to play basketball. I still love the game, and I still have something to offer. My coaches and teammates recognize that. At the same time, I want to be genuine and authentic and truthful.

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comments are invited